Alrighty. Remember this post? Well, here’s what was created…
I generally have a very clear picture of what I want to make when I set out on a crafty venture. This is a rare example of me allowing materials to inspire and guide me on the spot. The Lady in Boots and I took a trip down to dressew and picked up some essentials – beads, lace, fabric and such and laid them out to make headpieces for an upcoming occasion.
The internet is not short of inspiration, but I hadn’t seen anything that I really wanted to wear, so much of the time was spent just handling the materials and trying to keep an open mind. Finally I started working on a paper flower.
Here’s what I decided to work with: I realize that some of it has already been started, but I didn’t know what I was making until I had messed about a bit. All I’ve done is cut out flower shapes. The four-petal piece has one petal cut out and is taped together to get the partial conical shape. The same process for the three-petal flower.
to give you an idea, here’s the process for the five-petal layer.
1) cut little slits into the flower and tape them together. (I’m sure there’s a more elegant way to do this, but since it wasn’t going to be seen I didn’t worry about using tape.
2) roll the petals for a more ‘flower-like’ appearence.
3) make a little hole in the bottom. My punch didn’t reach that far, so I just cut to little perpendicular slits.
All that was left to do was cover a headband with lace and wire on my paper flower!