I allowed my podgey, stringy ball to dry for about 30 hours. Rotating it frequently. At that time it felt dry to the touch and firm enough to remove my rubber ball. I learned another hard lesson at that point. The ball is NOT fully dry for about 72 after you’ve made it!! As I alternately pried the rubber ball away from the twine and deflated it with the needle of a pump, all seemed to be well.
This is a back and forth process because, of course, the ball is glued to the string and doesn’t want to deflate. “Fine” I thought. “I’ll just go slow and deflate only the parts that I’ve detached.” Until I realized that, despite my efforts, the opposite end of my twine was puckering and deforming to follow the ball that was deflating. Since, at this point, I was about half done, I decided to continue and finish removing the ball. What I did then was cover the inside of the twine with plastic cling wrap, then coat the ball in plastic cling wrap and re-inflate inside the structure in order to press it back into shape. I left it like that for another full 24 hours. At that point, the ball came out easy and my precious globe maintained it’s spherical shape.
Once that crisis was averted I was faced with the consequences of using too much glue. It was webbed everywhere. And this is what took me the better part of the week to correct. Even then, waiting a few extra days allows all that thicker glue to dry and made it much easier to cut through. Whenever I had a few minutes to spare, I was to be found curled up, cradling the lampshade and picking at it with an x-acto knife to carve away all the excess glue.
That was so much fun, and I get to look at it and use it every day!
I think I’ll be making more…
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/lovelyde/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405